Sunday, November 15, 2009

7-11 More Than a Convenience Store



I remember when we vacationed in Taipei 4 years ago that 7-11 was Brianna’s FAVORITE store in Taipei. Everyone (including us) thought it was so funny that 7-11 could have had that big an impression on Brianna. However, I must tell all of my CA friends that truly, 7-11 is a one-stop shop. Honestly…you won’t believe the things that most people do at the average 7-11.

For one, Taiwan is primarily a cash-driven society. There is very little in Taiwan that you can do with a credit card. That being said, 99% of all 7-11’s have ATM machines, where most people get their cash. Oh, but wait there’s more! These are no ordinary ATM machines…these are ATM machines on steroids! These ATM machines can handle transferring funds from one’s bank account to another. Again, in a cash-driven society, rents, deposits for vacations/travel agents, etc. are handled through the 7-11 ATM machine. I must simply type in the Bank Code (much like the routing #) and the recipient’s account number, and away we go!
7-11 is also quite convenient when you’re hungry. Yes yes, they have the usual slurpee (yes they have those in Taipei), chips, candy, etc. But, 7-11’s here don’t have just hot-dogs. They also have tea eggs (hard-boiled eggs soaked in black tea and soy sauce…quite tasty), cappuccinos, lattes (they make a MEAN latte!), soups, and other small, hot snacks. One of the most unusual, which is apparently unique to Taiwan, is Ti-hoeh-koe, or pig's blood…which sounds positively gross, but after keeping an open mind, I’ve tried it and I must admit that it's not half bad. For those of you who are curious, check it out at http://www.echinacities.com/InPictures/?F=381&P=1) (Cyndi, this is ONE of the foods that I will ensure that you try when you visit!!!!). There are also small bento boxes which are like mini-lunches. They even have a microwave where they’ll warm up your lunch for you!

Most Taiwanese don’t consume beverages during their meals. Most Taiwanese consume their beverages (including alcohol) after the meal. We found it quite an adjustment to go to a local restaurant and not have ice water available…even upon request! So, it is now a given that we stop at 7-11 before going out to dinner. The girls now love this as they get to choose their own drink, and there are sooooo many new choices than in CA! The beverage selection is quite large. There are any number of different yogurt drinks, TONS of teas (plain tea, tea with milk, tea with milk & sugar, etc), lots of cold coffee (in cups or cans), lots of bottled water, soda, etc. As this is a major metropolitan area, the local Safeway is not just around the corner. Going to the grocery store takes careful planning and possibly multiple trips (depending on if you have a car or not!). So, the local 7-11 often fills in the gaps. Did I mention they make a decent latte?

In Taipei, rather than paying for your garbage on a monthly bill, in order for one to dispose of household trash, one must use an official garbage bag…purchased at 7-11. The bags come in 5 liter or 14 liter sizes and are blue. Remind me to blog another day about Taiwan’s amazing waste disposal system (which I LOVE, by the way!).

The thing I find the most surprising about 7-11 is that I can pay just about all of my Taiwan bills at the 7-11. Yes, that’s right…I don’t have to mail out a check payment, I don’t have automatic withdrawal (remember it’s a cash-driven society). I just take my invoices (which can all be scanned at 7-11) and the appropriate cash (heaven forbid anyone try to use a credit card) to the cashier. The cashier then scans the bar code at the bottom of my invoices, takes my cash, and gives me a receipt. That’s it…my electricity, gas, internet, phone, water….you name it! I believe I can even pay for a Taiwanese credit card (but that’s at the ATM machine), but that would mean that I’d have to have a Taiwanese credit card an outlet in which to use it!
So there you have it…7-11. Who knew it was such the wonder store? Oh yes, and did I mention how abundant they are here in Taipei? We live about ½ a mile away from the MRT station (Taipei’s subway) and there are literally FOUR 7-11 stores before we get to the MRT station. There’s also a Family Mart, which is like a 7-11. I have NO idea how these stores keep from cannibalizing one another, yet it seems to work.

Now that we are living in Taipei, I think I concur with Brianna’s initial assessment…7-11 is ONE of my favorite stores in Taipei.

No comments:

Post a Comment