Monday, December 28, 2009

First Christmas in Taipei



Since Halloween, I’ve been dreading Christmas.  It seems odd, as this is typically my FAVORITE time of the year, but honestly, I’ve not been looking forward to it.  My experience of Taipei thus far has been a positive one, and I’ve felt more or less ‘at home’.  Knowing that I’ve never experienced a Christmas away from my family, AND my family makes Christmas a BIG deal, I was really fearful that homesickness would set in, ruining my positive experience.

Terry has been awesome at doing whatever he can to ensure that we are comfortable and settling in.  To help get us in the holiday spirit, he ensured that we were well stocked with Christmas music, which he faithfully played every morning and evening…in fact, I am now glad that Christmas is over so that I don’t have to listen to it any longerJ. 

At the very last minute prior to our departure, I grabbed a small box of decorations and a small box of ornaments from our Christmas stash and added them to our few precious things which we shipped over to Taipei.  I’m very glad I did as the few decorations we put up really livened up the place and had me feeling a bit more optimistic about this holiday.  To round things out, we took a trip down ‘holiday alley’, which is an area of Taipei where many wholesalers sell their wares to the Taiwanese public (read…cheap ‘Made in Taiwan’ goods).  We were able to purchase our X-mas tree, lights, about 4 strands of garland, and various Xmas wreaths and other decorations for a whopping $60 in total.  One of the benefits of having a small apartment is that it is quite easy to decorate, and a little goes a long way, and the few purchases we made truly made the place simply magical and beautiful!  With all the decorations up, it started to look and feel a lot more like Christmas.


Brianna in particular had a few moments of touch and go as she was missing many of the holiday festivities we participate in back in the USA.  To help battle it, I allowed the girls to invite 3 friends each and we had a mini-Christmas party, complete with cookie decorating, candy-making and a gift exchange.  The girls had a great time and Brianna seemed much happier after that J.

Elaine and Brianna both had class Christmas programs as the European school celebrates Christmas.  For Elaine, her program consisted of a few group songs sang amongst the pre-school, kindergarden, and 1st grades; as well as each class singing 2 songs separately.  Elaine was even playing the tambourine in one of them…quite the sight.  Brianna’s program was put on by the 2-6 grade classes.  It was also 1 hour and 45 minutes!!!  Some of you were able to catch it live as it was broadcast on the web.  Some of the skits were quite entertaining and funny and some were…well, let’s just say that it was a VERY LONG show!  The super odd thing about it is that it ended with a Nativity scene complete with Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus.  Mary even explains how difficult it was travelling while she was pregnant.  I think this was the first time I’ve ever experienced a nativity scene outside of church.  It was a rather odd sight to see; however, it seemed that none of the folks there seemed to mind, and like much here in Taipei, I simply ‘went with the flow’.

The week before Christmas was probably my favorite time here.  I was surprised by how much Taipei gets into Christmas.  There are lights, trees, Christmas carols and other decorations everywhere.  Even the bus drivers were wearing Santa hats and red suits.  Brianna’s excitement about Christmas approaching was contagious.  Each day the week of Christmas I had to go to Chinese class and Terry stayed home with the girls (he had a one-week mandatory shut-down).  When I came home, I was treated to home-made ornaments Brianna had made for Santa Claus as a gift, pictures of wreaths and other Christmas items which Elaine used to decorate her room, a sign which said ‘Landing Strip for Santa Here’, and other fun surprises.  We took a few days to complete our shopping, which consisted of taking the girls to the Taipei Main Station underground mall to shop for each other.  They really loved picking out gifts for each other then coming home and wrapping their gifts.  I was very happy to see them bonding in a more meaningful way.  It seems that the holiday season was in full swing!

As if we didn’t have enough to look forward to, it seemed almost every day we were greeted by a package lovingly sent by our family in the USA.  The girls were beside themselves with excitement as they brought the packages upstairs and began to guess what was in each one.


Christmas morning was LOTS of fun for us.  Terry and I were prepared to be very tired as we had gone to bed very late Christmas Eve; however, to our surprise, the girls slept in until 7:45!  We were delighted!  The girls were patient enough to wait until Terry and I grabbed some coffee and put the Christmas music on.  They then dug into their presents with fervor.  Just watching their excitement and sincere appreciation for the beautiful gifts they received REALLY helped me get over my fears of homesickness.  I really felt at home with them and was relieved to see how thankful they were for their gifts.

The toughest part about Christmas was the afternoon.  I cannot remember a Christmas which was not crazy busy.  My personal experience of Christmas Day is one where we are frantically running from one family’s home to another, trying to rest along the way and ensure that everyone is happy.  This Christmas, we had no where to go and no family to see…in fact, Terry and I let the girls stay home by themselves, and he and I escaped to the gym for a few hours.  We then went to the traditional market and picked up a few things…it seemed like any other day.  That was tough for me as I was really missing the hustle and bustle.  It seemed….well…ordinary.  Thankfully, we had planned a very special evening which made up for whatever I had been feeling.


In the evening, we all dressed up in our fanciest Christmas clothes and hopped on a bus to downtown Taipei to the Grand Hyatt, where we had dinner reservations.  The Grand Hyatt, for those of you who are unfamiliar with Taipei, is one of Taipei’s nicest hotels and is quite formal.  We were NOT disappointed.  Not only was the décor very traditional and beautiful, but the food was fabulous!  We dined at the Café, which had a buffet serving American food as well as Chinese food.  The girls were just as excited as Terry and I were.  While we ate, we were treated to a quartet singing Christmas Carols (which I must say did get me very misty…I am REALLY missing singing, especially this time of year) as well as Santa Claus, who came with gifts for the kids.  We even received a photo of the kids with Santa…granted, this Santa looked VERY different from the ones back at home, but hey…at least we did not break the tradition of the kids’ picture with Santa!  After dinner, we went into the lobby, where a full choir was singing Christmas Carols.  It was quite a lovely sound and yes, as much as I tried to hide it, I did get very misty-eyed as I really did miss my family, the music, singing, and well…let’s just say that music moves me in a way that nothing else can.  I had been fighting the many ups and downs of the holiday season and given that it is such an emotional time of year, I found that music really brought out many emotions in me…and not all of them sad J.


We rounded the night off with a walk around Taipei 101 area, which was just lovely (sorry, I can't get the picture to rotate!).  There were lights and trees and people everywhere.  It was very magical and everyone seemed to have a good time.
I will tell you that there were moments (mostly when I heard people singing Christmas carols) when I was homesick and emotional; however, given how much I had feared the holiday season, my expectations were exceeded.  I have been grateful that Taipei does get into Christmas and VERY grateful for modern technology which allowed us to see most of our relatives and talk with them for quite a while on Christmas.
I will also confess that given the choice, I would prefer to spend Christmas in the USA with our families.  That being said; however, practically speaking that will not always be possible.  Our family created some fun new traditions which made our first intimate Christmas very memorable.  We were able to spend some quiet time together simply appreciating one another and the many blessings we bring into each other’s lives in a very deep way.  While I do look forward to the day when we will celebrate this special holiday with our extended family, I at least know now that spending Christmas in Taipei is not something I need to fear any longer.  For that, I am very grateful.


I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday filled with many memories and spirit.  

6 comments:

  1. Lesly- This is by far, the best and emotional entry to your blog. Knowing how you are during Christmas, I was wondering how you would do, this first Christmas away from family. It seems like you did fine! I'm impressed!!! I'm glad you and your family had a GREAT and WONDERFUL Christmas. We shall talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I hit the wrong button. The previous comment from Uncle Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesly - Thanks for sharing. I so look forward to your blog entries. Merry Christmas to you and Terry and the girls. If it makes you feel any better I am still thoroughly jealous of your adventure. XO Shelley Twarowski

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...THANKS Shelly :) I hope to be sharing more interesting tidbits once my class is completed. Terry and I have decided that with this head-start, I can slow down and concentrate on my conversational skills through language exchanges beginning February.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesly,

    You are such a fantastic writer! I cannot stop reading about your adventures. Glad to hear you had a great Christmas! I know how you feel. Being away from home, we spend Christmas every year just like you did in Taipei. No rushing from one home to another...We love your spirit of adventure and your strength...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, my signature did not show in my previous comment.

    Love from Andrea and Jonathan

    ReplyDelete