Saturday, October 3, 2009

I found the CENTER

One of the first gifts I received in coming to Taiwan (during my ‘look-see’ visit in August) was a book called ‘Taipei Living’ from Terry’s boss (THANK YOU Mauricio!). It’s published by the ‘Center’, an auspicious name if ever I heard one! That same visit, we had dinner with one of Terry’s co-workers, whose family is here on an expat package for two years (dinner was FABULOUS, thanks again Francois and Laure!). The co-worker’s wife, Laure, said that one of the first things she did upon arriving was visit the ‘Center’, as it is a non-profit community services center which was designed to help the international community adapt to Taiwan (or, specifically, Taipei) living.

I have to say that the book is truly amazing, as it does a spectacular job at listing out everything one could possibly imagine in adapting to life here. Seriously, there’s everything from ‘recommended items to bring’ (e.g. sheets, comfy shoes, children’s medicine) to ‘paying your utility bills’. Given what a great resource the book has been thus far, I knew that a visit to the Center was a must.

I have to preface my trip by saying that the morning was not going particularly well at that time. I have been having a VERY difficult time in establishing our finances here in Taiwan and STILL do not yet have a bank account (GRRRRRRRR). I had been navigating some challenges on line that morning, was getting quite grumpy and had truly contemplated simply not going out that day, but staying home and fighting with overseas banks and credit card companies. To be honest, I was somewhat emotionally drained, and the thought of ‘putting myself out there’ was not appealing. However, all week long I had been mentioning to Terry that I wanted to go to the Center, and that it was a priority to me. So, how can I say it’s a high priority and end the week without a visit? My guilt (and my stubborn attitude) won me over, and I, grudgingly, left the apartment.

I armed myself with the book from the Center, as the address was printed in Mandarin (which is key as the taxi drivers don’t necessarily read English). I also grabbed my translator, an electronic version which translates my printed English into printed (and spoken) Mandarin. I had to stop at the post office, as I needed to mail some checks to CA to be deposited (did I mention I was having banking issues??).

Sometimes I honestly feel that someone is looking out for me. As luck would have it, one of my neighbors found me searching for the security guard (I was going to ask him where the post office was). She looked at the post office address printed in my book in Mandarin (like I said, this book has everything in both English AND Mandarin) and, in broken English, directed me how to get there. It turns out that the Post Office is about a 10-minute walk from the apartment, and I found it with little trouble. I did have to use my translator to ask the post office attendant for a stamp and where to deposit my letter. However, my luck stopped there. I was hoping to find envelopes at the post office so I could send my checks off…no luck. I guess they don’t stock them there. But, I did buy a stamp…now I have to figure out how to affix it to the envelope. The book says the post office should give me a glue bottle and brush, but….well, I wasn’t going to push it as the attendant was getting impatient with me.

OK, now to the Center! I gave the address to a taxi driver (I had NO idea where this place was and felt it was best to leave it to the ‘expert’) and was off. The driver dropped me off about 2 miles from my apartment in the area of Tienmu (where many expats live). He gave me some general direction and left me there. As I was standing in front of this large department store, Sogo, I discovered that the address of Sogo, in front of me, was 100 Zhong Shan N. Rd. That’s a problem. I needed 290 Zhong Shan Rd., which was clearly printed on the address I gave to him. Some expert! Now I had to walk from 100 down to 290, and then find number 25. Good thing I thought to wear my comfy shoes!

As an aside, I have to let you in on an expectation of mine. You see, everyone that I spoke to who has had knowledge of living in Taipei knows of this place…the Center. Everyone had been there, had the same book as me, and rec’d the magazine which the Center publishes. I thought, as the international community in Taipei is fairly large, that this place was kind of like a compound…an international embassy of sorts. I was thinking that most people knew of it, or at least where to find it. I hadn’t expected any real problems in finding it, as I assumed it was a professional building, like the tax professionals, or Terry’s work.

Now…as I was saying, I was walking from 100 down to 290. While I didn’t exactly find 290, I found an alley in between 288 and 292. So, I walked down this alley, assuming it was 290, again looking for a tall building. I found a lot of residential areas (small apartments and townhouses), but no professional-looking buildings. You’d think that you walk down alley #290 and go from building 1 to 25. No folks, it’s not that simple. I found myself meandering down odd-looking side-alleys, as 1-7 was on one side, and then it seemed to skip to 11-16. I thought I was on the right track when I found number 23, but not only was I nowhere near a tall building, but it seemed I was in the middle of a residential area. I honestly thought I was lost. Just about to give up, I rounded a corner and found a very small, non-descript residential-looking one-story store front with one placard on the front which matched that on my book, the ‘Center’.

It was in that moment that I realized how amazingly ego-centric I can be…and I’m sure I’m not alone. I honestly believed that the international community in Taiwan was so immense that EVERYONE in Taipei MUST know about its only ‘community services center’? How could something so well-known be in such a random, small place? How small-minded of me. I felt very humbled in this experience. It’s been a feeling which has followed me since, and helps me to keep my head a bit more grounded, as my ego swells with each new conquest.

I was not disappointed in the Center, despite its humble office space. The woman who greeted me, Bunny, was extremely warm and friendly. I discovered she was from Oregon, was married to a Taiwanese man, had lived here 10 years, and spoke little Mandarin. That last part I found a bit disappointing, and it’s not that uncommon. It seems that most expats who live here are able to exist with little Mandarin skills. I made a mental note that, while I enjoyed her company and look forward to coming back, this is not the same life I wish to lead here, and my goals and objectives are different.

After finding the Center, gathering some reading and info on classes available, I thanked Bunny and went off in search of food and Carrefour (the other grocery store I had heard about). Bunny was excellent w/recommendations and directions for both, hence I was able to complete my day with a successful trip to Carrefour. I think this is going to be my new favorite grocery store. It’s like a higher-class Wal-Mart. They have everything, and are much less expensive than the other grocery stores which carry western products. I did find it difficult to navigate my way around the products as most are in Mandarin; however, I am hoping that a call and a date with Laure (who is also French, and many of the items I want are also in French, given that Carrefour is a French company) will resolve that little problem.

All in all, not only was today’s conquest successful, but it provided a valuable learning experience for me. I learned that the world doesn’t revolve around me (now I know where Brianna gets it from!). Armed with a new perspective, I’m ready to face my next challenge/opportunity in Taiwan…a month-long visit from Terry’s mom :)

1 comment:

  1. you go girl! you are so brave and smart and resourcefull!

    ReplyDelete