Friday, October 2, 2009

Our First Day of School

I thought I'd start this one with my perspective, and then follow-up with the girls' perspective. This way you can all see the first day through their eyes :).

Lesly

Thank GOD for jet lag. Honestly. The girls woke up at 6:30am and got ready quickly and efficiently. We left the apartment at 7:15am and arrived at school at 7:45…just as we had planned. Terry was able to join us this morning as his first day of work didn’t start until later that morning. What was surprising to me was that neither girl was anxious (or at least, they hid it well) and they seemed at peace with being the ‘new kid on the block’.

Of course, to Terry and I they looked amazingly adorable in their new uniforms!

We took Elaine to her class first and were greeted by her very friendly and welcoming teacher, Mrs. Woodall. Mrs. Woodall explained a bit of what was to happen that day and then took Elaine gently by the hand and helped her in. Elaine didn’t even flinch!

We took Brianna to her class, which was just about to start when we arrived. Brianna’s teacher is a very boisterous and funny man named Mr. McKelvie (Mr. Mac for short). He seems to really enjoy kidding around with his students and was very reassuring that Brianna would be fine. With a hug and a kiss, we left them to fend for themselves during their long day.

I was a bit nervous for them given the long day, but when I greeted them as they came out of their classrooms at the end of the day, they both had very happy faces and left with lots of hugs from their new friends. I should have known not to be worried!


Elaine

I made new friends, Julia, Lizzie, Sienna, and Emma. I love that I get to go to different classrooms during the day. I REALLY loved PE, even though I didn’t have a PE uniform to wear as my parents forgot to buy one for me! (we’ve since corrected that fact). At lunch, the teacher asked who would be my friend and help me to the ‘canteen’ (the cafeteria) and EVERYONE in my class raised their hands! The lunch was pretty good and I ate all my veggies, but my favorite was the chocolate ice cream for dessert. I had Chinese lessons today and I learned the number ten in Chinese. Later, in the afternoon, I had ‘choice’ time where I went to a different classroom and got to create an origami puppy dog and a really cool finger puppet. I really love my teacher, Mrs. Woodall, and really like my school so far. (Mom adds…she did well, but was EXHAUSTED at the end of the day…bedtime around here is 7pm, and trust me, she could very well go to bed at 6:30 as it was challenging keeping her awake that long! Then again, she’s waking up at 6am and going to school from 8am til 2:30, so yeah, she’s tired!).


Brianna



On the first day of school, I had been up all night very excited about what was to come the next day. I woke up and got into my uniform. As much as I was not looking forward to it, I have to admit, it wasn’t as bad as I expected. I had already visited the classroom before, so I went upstairs with confidence. I knew I would have fun at school, and was not disappointed. I met three new friends right away, Aina (pronounced AH-ih-na) who is from Maylasia, Heather (who is Taiwanese) and Christina (whose nationality I am not sure of). What I really like about those 3 people is that they showed me around and were really nice to me. They all reminded me of my friend, Paige Lombardi back in California, as they were very friendly and really wanted to help me find my way. One of my favorite parts of the day was going to the classroom, as there was nothing much going on for me. While my classmates had to write about the book they just read, Treasure Island, I got to kick back and relax! Oh yes, my teacher’s name is Mr. McKelvie, but we call him Mr. Mac. He’s from Australia. He’s really funny and very nice.

On my first day, I went to computer lab, which is called ICT here. I had an assessment test, which was really hard. I don’t think I did that well because I barely knew any of the answers (Mom says…Mr. Mac explained to me that the assessment was merely the school’s way of assessing its strengths and weaknesses and that her test scores would not be counted towards anything on a personal level…so I explained to Brianna not to worry and that this was not something to be concerned about).

At the end of the day, I went to Chinese class. In my class, there were two students from the German section and one from the French section of TES (Taipei European School). I was placed in the beginner’s section, as I am not that familiar with Chinese. When I arrived, the class was learning numbers, which was easy for me as I had about 18 months of Chinese classes back in California (but forgot most of it). I was sooooo excited in Chinese class as I was a STAR and knew all the answers. I was almost the best student in the class, but tied with a guy named ‘Tai’ (funny, isn’t it?? That’s a true story!).

I have to say that my new school takes some getting used to (like all the stairs I have to climb), but that’s just the way I like it…a new challenge. I’m really looking forward to tomorrow as it’s Pirate Day and I have the PERFECT outfit (a pink pirate outfit which Elaine and I put together).


UPDATE: Pirate Day was a lot of fun. I had an assembly where I had to sing a pirate song with my class in front of the school. Afterwards, we all made treasure maps and used wet tea bags to make them look old (I had to finish mine at home as I hadn’t completed it). Mr. Mac gives homework on Fridays and we’re given a whole week to complete it. I LOVE this way of doing homework sooooo much better than having it everyday. I’m going to LOVE my new school!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your attitude towards this whole move! Great job and keep writing!

    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like school life is off to a good start for the girls. They do look very adorable in their uniforms. They totally remind me of my much younger days in which I had to wear a few versions of the uniforms growing up in TW. Hope you're almost done unpacking! :)

    ReplyDelete